The island 2017-08-26T14:32:46+00:00

The island of Favignana

The island of Favignana (or “Faugnana”, according to local dialect) is the largest of the Egadi Islands, an archipelago located about 7 kilometers from the west coast of Sicily, in the air between Trapani and Marsala, consisting of three Islands, Favignana, namely, Marettimo and Levanzo, two islets and a set of rocks and carvings. It is characterized by a very special shape, two larger extremes and a much narrower central section, which actually refers to two wings so widespread that it has led the painter Salvatore Fiume to define the Favignana Island “the Great Butterfly on the Sea”.

The island is known mainly for its beautiful beaches that grow for about 33 kilometers, being one of the few cases in the Mediterranean area where it is possible to access from the ground to such a high percentage of coasts: from this point of view Favignana presents Options for all tastes, ranging from sandy shores to those with rocks and pebbles, from the most equipped ones for bathing and entertainment to the wildest and most isolated ones.

Red Cala, for example, is known for being the most beautiful island’s cave; its sea is crystal clear and its flat rocks are perfect for corking; Diametrically opposite Lido Burrone, probably the most comfortable beach on the island, suited to the needs of the whole family. Other noteworthy beaches are the Praia, which is convenient because it is very close to the inhabited center or Cala del Pozzo, a bay characterized by breathtaking colors, ranging from the gray lead of Marettimo to the sea turquoise, from white sand to intense blue sky .

The human presence at Favignana seems even to come to the upper Paleolithic, in fact there are traces of settlements in the Faraglione area and in the area of ​​San Nicola; The island was known to ancient Greeks as “Aegusa” (the island of goats) and it was found that the Phoenicians settled there from the 8th century BC. The name Favignana derives, however, from the Latin “favonius”, a word that used to indicate the warm wind of the West, and seems to be a direct consequence of Roman occupation following the First Punic War. After the collapse of the empire, the island entered in 1081 under the stable control of the Normans, the authors of its two first important fortifications, Forte San Giacomo and Forte Santa Caterina; So the whole archipelago passes to the Bourbons from the sixteenth century, being mainly used as a prison or a place of confinement.

Speaking of constructions, it is impossible not to mention again the Castle on the top of Mount Santa Caterina, probably the most characteristic structure of the island: it was built as a simple observation tower in the 9th century AD, to be expanded and Strengthened until it assumed its current structure in 1655; Has been used both as a prison and as a stronghold and today, unfortunately, is in a state of abandonment.

Favignana’s second emblem is in all probability the Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception that rises in the heart of the country, famous for its eighteenth-century façade and for its precious objects that retain its interior, a wooden crucifix of the eighteenth century and A marble statue of St. Anthony of the seventeenth century. Other noteworthy architectures are definitely Villa Florio, a Neo-Gothic building that now hosts the tourist info point, and the former Tonnara di Favignana plant, which is no longer in business but remains open to visitors, being transformed into A kind of museum: inside it is possible to observe several historical finds, as well as old videos related to the matting provided by the Light Institute.

Although the number of tuna caught has drastically reduced in recent years, this delicious sea fish